Scones have always been one of our favourite brunch treats. A warm scone to topped with a creamy spread is our dream snack anytime of the day. This savoury version uses our NONA sauce to create a unique take on a family classic.
NONA’S CHEESY SCONES
Total time: 30 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) frozen vegan butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp NONA CHEESY-STYLE SAUCE (or sub CARBONARA-STYLE or ALFREDO-STYLE)
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional, for glazing)
- Warm NONA CHEESY-STYLE SAUCE
- Sliced cucumber
- Whatever else your heart desires!
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- Grate frozen butter into the bowl. Mix it all together with a fork to avoid melting the butter with your hands.
- Add in 1/2 cup NONA CHEESY-STYLE SAUCE, stirring lightly. If the dough is too dry, add the extra 3 tbsp as needed. Mix only until it’s all just holding together. The dough should still be slightly crumbly, but come together when you mold it with your hands.
- Place the dough on a cutting board and form into a circle. Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and place on the baking pan. Brush the tops with olive oil (optional).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until their golden brown on the sides and bottom.
- Remove the baking pan and place the scones on a cooling rack.
- Serve the scones with warm NONA Cheesy for spreading. We recommend cutting up some cucumbers (and maybe vegan bacon too!) to make next-level scone sandwiches.
- Buon Appetito! Enjoy your meal!
Tips and tricks:
*For a gluten free version, we replaced the all purpose flour with half oat flour and half almond flour.
** These scones are best when fresh. If you’d like to keep them for another day, freeze them once they’re cool, and then toast lightly in the oven for a few minutes to reheat.
*** As always, have fun with the additions! Adding vegan bacon, sundried tomato, and fresh rosemary would all be very tasty.