NONA’S MAC AND CHEESY PIZZA
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 Wholly Veggie vegan sweet potato crust
- 1/4 box macaroni pasta (we used Jovial Foods)*
- 1 Pouch NONA Cheesy-Style Sauce
- Acropolis Olive Oil
- Tomato sauce
Optional (but delicious!) toppings**:
- Roasted garlic
- Vegan sausage (we used Big Mountain Foods)
- Diced red pepper
- Fresh basil
- Veggies of choice
- Chili flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Ready your ingredients! Cut your desired veggies, caramelize your onions, etc. The toppings won’t be in the oven very long so if you want something cooked (like your vegan sausage!) do it now.
3. Put a light coating of the tomato sauce and Acropolis Olive Oil on your Wholly Veggie crust and bake it in the oven for 15 minutes, until cooked and the bottom is light brown.
4. While the crust is baking, boil pasta in salted water until just al dente. Don’t overcook as the pasta will soften slightly in the oven. Drain pasta and place in a bowl.
5. Warm up NONA Cheesy sauce and add it to the pasta, leaving about 1/2 cup NONA sauce left in the pot. Mix until incorporated.
Step 6 – Take out the pizza crust and cover with your Mac n Cheese.* Flatten the noodles so that they create one layer (you want a pizza with Mac n Cheese, not the other way around).
Step 7 – Top with the extra NONA sauce and your desired veggies** (onions, peppers, sausage, whatever makes you happy! Save your herbs for later.)
Step 8 – Bake the pizza for 3 minutes on broil, watching to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Step 9 – Take out your pizza and garnish with a drizzle of Acropolis Olive Oil and your fresh herbs.
Step 10 – DEVOUR!***
Tips and Tricks:
*You only want to use a single-serving amount of pasta on the pizza (we used about 50-60g). Less is more! Otherwise the pizza can become mushy and hard to eat. If you made too much pasta, keep it for another meal!
**In classic Italian style, keep your pizza toppings to only a few, high quality ingredients. Otherwise you want be able to taste the delicious crust! And again, it will be very hard to eat. You want one layer of toppings or less- if you start stacking toppings, you’ve gone too far.
***If you’re someone who loves a dip for your pizza, NONA Carbonara adds a smoky deliciousness that goes great with this dish.