Make this as an appetizer and you’ll forget all about your entree – we guarantee it.
NONA’S SPRINGTIME BREAD
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes (including rising time!).
- We used the recipe from Aline Made but you can use your favourite soft and fluffy bread dough!
- Vegan egg wash (2 tbsp soy milk + 1 tbsp maple syrup)
- Everything bagel spice (optional)
- NONA Style-Carbonara
- Caramelized onions (optional, for garnish)
- After its bulk rise, cut bread dough into 3 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a long log (about 20-25 inches)
- Braid the dough (here’s a great video for some helpful tips!)
- Place an empty ramekin on a greased sheet pan. Fold your braided dough around the ramekin, pinching the ends to create a circle.
- Let the dough rise for another 30-60 minutes, until doubled in size.**
- Brush the dough with your vegan egg wash, and sprinkle with everything bagel spice.
- Bake the bread for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown. If it starts browning too quickly, cover it with tin foil.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Heat up your NONA CARBONARA in a pot.
- Place the warm bread on your serving plate, add the hot NONA to the ramekin, and garnish with caramelized onions.
Tips and tricks:
*Have fun with your bread! You can do 2 strands, 3 strands, 6 strands…whatever you like!
**If it’s not growing, don’t worry! Just bake it – it’ll still be delicious.
***Feel free to sub in sesame seeds, sprinkles, or whatever topping you like.
****All oven’s are different, so make sure to watch your bread and do what’s right for you!
*****You can bake this bread ahead of time. Just warm up your NONA right before serving (we like to warm up the bread too). Best eaten on the day it’s made.